Apply to be part of the Fieldhouse Art Mural Program
- Ongoing – Deadline for Phase Two artist submissions
- Ongoing – Deadline for Artist Selection Panel to select Phase Two artists
- Ongoing – Assign Phase Two artists to building locations
- Continuous – Artists begin installing Phase Two murals onsite
- December 2022 – Deadline for mural installation
- June 2023 – Public Art Mural Program Dedication Event
Call for Artists
Calling all visual artists! We are looking for artists to design and create over two dozen murals and works of art in the Fieldhouse at Studio West 117. Designed to uplift, support, and connect our region’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer+ (LGBTQ+) community, the Fieldhouse at Studio West 117 will offer a Gymnasium for recreational sports and community events, three international restaurants, Lakewood’s first public rooftop patio, and a collection of indoor and outdoor murals and public art through our Art Mural Program.
Phase One of the Art Mural Program was successfully completed thanks to the generous support from The Char and Chuck Fowler Family Foundation. Phase One includes murals in the Gymnasium, a facility that will host an LGBTQ+ Youth Sports League, Stonewall Sports Dodgeball, as well as numerous community and private events. Phase Two of the Art Mural Program includes remaining murals of the Fieldhouse at Studio West. This will include the Courtyard, restaurant and bar spaces, and additional locations that encourage physical activity and well-being. Since art is also essential to our well-being, the Art Mural Program will invite artists and communities to collaboratively engage with one another to inspire mural designs.
The goals of the Art Mural Program are to:
- Create murals for an indoor and outdoor environment that reflects the spirit of Cleveland’s LGBTQ+ community and help make Studio West a destination and local attraction.
- Showcase a diverse aesthetic from a variety of artists.
- Serve as a tool for ongoing community engagement in the future.
- Be a practicing artist (including graffiti, painting, aerosol, photography, graphic design, tapestry, etc.)
- Be willing to work with community members to help inform content for their design
- Preference will be given to LGBTQ-identifying artists and underrepresented (Black, Indigenous, People of Color or BIPOC) artists
Artist teams can only consist of four (4) members. Each member must meet all of the eligibility requirements.
- Applications submitted on behalf of artist teams must include work samples of each team member. Total group submission of digital images should not exceed more than twenty (20) images.
- Each team member must clearly identify their work samples on the annotated image list.
Artist Selection Criteria
Artist selection will be based on artistic merit, community impact, and managerial capability using the following evaluation criteria:
- High quality and reflection of project goals as demonstrated in submitted work samples
- Experience working with the community
- Adaptability to the collaborative process of design
- Demonstrated knowledge of unique exterior and/or interior murals or designs
- Ability to create a unique and engaging designs appropriate in concept, materials and scale
The selection process consists of two stages.
- The Artist Selection Panel will review submissions to evaluate artist qualifications.
- The Panel will recommend Semi-Finalists to be placed on the Artist Roster.
- The Project Manager will present the Artist Roster to the site owners.
- Site owners will review work samples and select the final artists to design and install designs onto their property.
- Upon approval, a scope of services and budget will be developed based on the artist’s or artist team’s approach to the project.Final artists will sign a contract, receive a deposit, and begin community engagement and design phases.
Submit Your Application
Upload your application below. In order to access the application portal, you will be prompted to create a free account. Once logged into the newly created account, you will be allowed to submit all application materials. The online portal will allow you to save an incomplete application and return to it for completion later.